Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on Small Micro Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyb15

Never dabbled in microcontrollers, but would like to give it a shot. I want send an ascii character over rs232 to a microcontroller. I want to have the microcontroller to have at least one digital out(that is all i need). What would be the simplist route to go? What do i need to get to program this chip,, ect. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

dirtyb15 said:
Never dabbled in microcontrollers, but would like to give it a shot. I want send an ascii character over rs232 to a microcontroller. I want to have the microcontroller to have at least one digital out(that is all i need). What would be the simplist route to go? What do i need to get to program this chip,, ect. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

Check my PIC tutorials, PIC's would be ideal for your task - and my RS232 tutorials do almost exactly what you want. They are based on the 18 pin 16F628, but will work with the 8 pin 12F675 series just as well (with your limited output requirements).

Thank you very much, this info looks great. I am sure ill have some more questions, but i will be reading for a good part of the day.
thanks again!!

Nigel Goodwin said:
dirtyb15 said:

Check my PIC tutorials, PIC's would be ideal for your task - and my RS232 tutorials do almost exactly what you want. They are based on the 18 pin 16F628, but will work with the 8 pin 12F675 series just as well (with your limited output requirements).
What kind of USART are you using in 16F628 in your tutorials? If it's hardware, than it won't work with 12F675...

Jay.slovak said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
dirtyb15 said:

What kind of USART are you using in 16F628 in your tutorials? If it's hardware, than it won't work with 12F675...

My tutorials deal with both hardware and software UART's.

Nigel (and gang),

You may wish to explore the slightly newer 8-pin 12F683... It's INTOSC (internal oscillator) will run up to 8-MHz, compared to 4-MHz in the '675, and it has 2-kwords memory and the very useful TMR2 peripheral which can provide the 104-usec 'ticks' for interrupt driven bit-banged 9600 baud serial I/O (example on PICList)...

Very best regards, Mike

Mike said:
Nigel (and gang),

You may wish to explore the slightly newer 8-pin 12F683... It's INTOSC (internal oscillator) will run up to 8-MHz, compared to 4-MHz in the '675, and it has 4-kwords memory and the very useful TMR2 peripheral which can provide the 104-usec 'ticks' for interrupt driven bit-banged 9600 baud serial I/O (example on PICList)...

Very best regards, Mike
12F683 sure is better than 12F675. The only feature I miss in all 8-pin PIC's is hardware USART...

Oops... I mistakenly said the 12F683 has 4-kwords of memory when it really only has 2-kwords of Flash memory... Sorry guys... I edited my original post...

Regards, Mike...

Recently microchip has released the 10Fxx series of Pics in DIL 6 format (16 pins in total). So you have 2 pins for Vdd and Vss (ground), and 4 programmables pins to do what you want... I think thta this kind of mcu you need ...
sincerely

bluex_scf said:
Recently microchip has released the 10Fxx series of Pics in DIL 6 format (16 pins in total). So you have 2 pins for Vdd and Vss (ground), and 4 programmables pins to do what you want... I think thta this kind of mcu you need ...
sincerely
Not in 6.DIL package!
it's available in 8.DIL or in 6. SOT(SMD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back