Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advice on part name place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Hi Fellows,

i was searching for an electronic part name.

In fact its like an potentiometer but it clicks and you can turn it unlimited rounds....

2nd thing is that many have a button integrated when pushing on them..

3nd thig can be that you can also pull (another button etc..)

can any one give me the name of this part???

they are often used in cars like a radio volume meter...or an menu scroller etc...

hope some one knows a name..

Tks

TKS said:
Hi Fellows,

i was searching for an electronic part name.

In fact its like an potentiometer but it clicks and you can turn it unlimited rounds....

2nd thing is that many have a button integrated when pushing on them..

3nd thig can be that you can also pull (another button etc..)

can any one give me the name of this part???

they are often used in cars like a radio volume meter...or an menu scroller etc...

hope some one knows a name..

Tks

It's called a 'rotary encoder' or a 'quadrature encoder', it's a switch, not a potentiometer at all - they have two contacts, and close in sequence - the order they do this in tells you which way you're turning it. The speed of the pulses tells you how fast it's being turned.

As usual, the PICList provides suitable code for them .

mhhh

many thanxs....

Using them isn't that quet easy??

i have my eye on one with 4/5 pins..

one switch and A Comon and B lead..

to the common i connect 5volts..

A en B to inputs..(pullup)....

and switch to another...

In an loop i check what the inputs are doing?? isn't it?

TKs

p.s: if i take a look at the piclist code it looks like a hell of an task, bit chifting etc..??

rs component number : 263-2924

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back