Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on MPLAB v7.40 please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I have MPLAB v7.40 and have written many successful programmes, but I would like to know if there is an easier way to create a new project than the following:-

Select Project/New

Enter project name eg. "test"

Click on "Browse" and select a folder.

A small window "test.mcw" appears with a folder "test.mcp" and several sub folders such as "Source files".

So far so good.

But how do I start a source code file?

I've tried various methods to achieve this end, but the only one that works is as follows:-

Click on the "New file" icon in the Toolbar.

A window appears "MPLAB IDE Editor" with "Untitled" in the top left corner.

I then type in the code.

But if I press button F10 to assemble, a "Save as" window appears, so I type in the file name, eg. "test" and click on

"Save".

The following message appears:-

"Build aborted. The project contains no source files"

However, the "Untitled" tag changes to "test.asm".

Now if I right click on the "Source file" folder in the "test.mcw" window and add the "test.asm" file, I can press F10

and then the code will assemble successfully.

This seems to be a clumsy procedure, is there a simpler method?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Len,

Try Projects/Add new file to project... and type filename.asm in the box.
This is in version 7.6 but I think it was the same in 7.4

Mike.

I find it easier to create a new folder for my project, copy a template asm file for my microcontroller to there and rename it to suit my new project.

Then open mplab, create a new project, browse to my new folder and add my asm file to the project.

That ensures that my new asm files will have a standard header etc. at the start.

Add, that simple!

Add file to project, as Pommie says.

Just in case, I still work in absolute mode (no flaming please!).

In my case, I have another 15 to 20 files INCLUDEd in that one.

I prefer using the Project Wizard as it presets the processor type, language toolsuite, file/folder locations, etc. Then I "open" an existing template 'asm' file, do a "save as" to the new project folder, and "add file to project". The whole process takes less than a minute.

Good luck. Mike

Mike said:
I prefer using the Project Wizard as it presets the processor type, language toolsuite, file/folder locations, etc. Then I "open" an existing template 'asm' file, do a "save as" to the new project folder, and "add file to project". The whole process takes less than a minute.

Good luck. Mike

hi,
This is way I also start a new project, then open the source window and add a suitable header file.
I know that the templates for each PIC can be found in the MPLAB folders, but I prefer to use my own header file as it has my include files and other details.

From the open asm. file you can select Project-Quickbuild(your filename) and that's it, i always only use Quickbuild.

Thanks for the advice.
I decided to use the method posted by Mike and Eric, ie. use the Wizard.

I discovered that at Step 4, I can copy the template and then change its filename, which is what I expect Mike meant by "save as"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back