Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on lowering voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a digital camera which drains batteries so quickly its getting very expensive even with rechargeable. The camera has a 5 volt dc socket on it and i want to run the camera from this via an external battery. I have a 6volt 4.5Ah lead acid battery that i would like to use. I asked a few people for advice who suggested a voltage regulator 7805 to reduce the voltage. This worked well until i wanted to take pictures. I powers the screen and i can look at the pictures but as soon as i tried to take a picture the camera shuts off. I think that the voltage regulator as reduced the amperage. The camera details are 5 volt dc, 5 watt which i believe to be 1 amp.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions i would be very grateful as i am lost now.

Thanks

Mick

Just put two power diodes in series, between the battery and camera.

Last edited:
The problem is: as soon as you try to get noticable current out of a 7805, the chip eats 2 or 3 volts for its own purposes.

The solution is to put a single diode in series between the battery and the camera. The diode will eat about 7 tenths of a volt and the camera will get 5.3 volts. You need a 3 amp rectifier diode of no particular wonderfulness. Even Radio Shack should have them.

A 6V lead acid battery has an output of about 6.3V when charged, so one diode drop may not be enough. If so you could put two diodes in series. A standard and a schottky diode in series should drop a little over a volt.

Last edited:
hi all thanks for the replies i was just wondering if the diode would give a guaranteed voltage as i cannot chance frying the camera. Someone else suggested using a variable resistor (potentiometer) used as a voltage divider, i was wondering what you thought.

My knowledge is not much better than basic only really used to car electrics.

The problem is: as soon as you try to get noticable current out of a 7805, the chip eats 2 or 3 volts for its own purposes.

So if i used a 12v lead acid would this solve my problem as i already have the regulator wired up in a box with all connectors ready to go.

Yes. The only thing yet to consider is that if you're a pro photographer, firing 32 shots at a time, the 7805 will get hot. It will need a piece of metal to help it radiate heat. If you're a normal person, don't worry about it.

A 6V lead acid battery has an output of about 6.3V when charged, so one diode drop may not be enough. If so you could put two diodes in series. A standard and a schottky diode in series should drop a little over a volt.

Thanks could you suggest what ratings to use for each and if they need to go in a particular configuration please as i am unsure where to start with this.

A potentiometer would give poor regulation and dissipate a lot of power.

You could use a 12V battery, but you then have the problem that the regulator would have to dissipate about 6W of power, so it would have to be mounted on a good heat sink.

Yes. The only thing yet to consider is that if you're a pro photographer, firing 32 shots at a time, the 7805 will get hot. It will need a piece of metal to help it radiate heat. If you're a normal person, don't worry about it.

A potentiometer would give poor regulation and dissipate a lot of power.

You could use a 12V battery, but you then have the problem that the regulator would have to dissipate about 6W of power, so it would have to be mounted on a good heat sink.

At the moment it has a clip on heatsink on the regulator and the box it is mounted in has ventilation holes, i am not a pro photographer but am intending to shoot quite a few photos.

I think it's all been said. You can buy a better regulator, use a 12 volt battery with a heat sink (which you already have), or add a couple of 3 amp diodes in series. Pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back