Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

advice on a microcontroller board (and an interface)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sknoogleplex

Hi, I'm a student working on a project where I need to code everything in assembly and cannot use an OS or libraries. (I.e. I need to code _everything_.) The amount of code I write needs to be absolutely minimal. (Each unnecessary line should be avoided for the project to be successful.)

The summarized I/O requirements of my finished system are:
-I need to be able to do basic r/w to about 1MB of some type of external, non-volatile memory.
-I need two RS-232 connectors. (One for screen output, one to talk to a smart card reader. Should have corresponding UARTs, of course.)
-I need to be able to play basic sounds out of a speaker (i.e. some kind of analog output).

First, is there any interface anyone would recommend for the readable/writeable, external storage (since I need to manually communicate with it using a very small amount of code). Is SPI the best?

More importantly, can anyone recommend a microcontroller board that might suit this purpose.

Let me know if you'd like any more details or have questions.

Thank you very much. -Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles