Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice for testing permanent magnet generator for grid tied inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr CS

Thank you all for the wealth of information that you provide. I have a permanent magnet generator that I would like to test the output for so that I can purchase a grid tied inverter.

This is my setup,

AC Motor - Gearbox(to get correct RPMs) - PM Generator

I know that I am producing very low frequency AC. My questions:

1) How should I test/measure the watts that I am generating?

2) How do I measure the correct voltage level for finding a rectifier?

My thinking was to hook up the generator through a rectifier then connect it to a series of 1 kW heating elements. However, when I add more elements the voltage lowers so how do I know what voltage will be given to the grid tied inverter?

Thank you all for any inputs.

My thinking was to hook up the generator through a rectifier then connect it to a series of 1 kW heating elements. However, when I add more elements the voltage lowers so how do I know what voltage will be given to the grid tied inverter?

I understand most of what you are saying. Yes, you can load the generator with heating elements. With a good generator, however. the voltage out should not drop as long as you are working within the rated load of the generator. Heating elements are a purely resistive load, therefore if I have a 5 KW generator and load it to 5 KW using heating elements the voltage should not drop. This assumes the motor driving the generator can deliver the required power to the generator shaft and maintain constant RPM. That as well as the generator's voltage regulator.

You mention "low frequency"? The frequency out of an AC generator is a function of the shaft speed and the number of poles the generator has. Frequency = (Number of Poles)] X RPM/[120). So for example a two pole generator rotating at 3600 RPM would give us 2 * 3600 = 7200 / 120 = 60 Hz. With 3,000 RPM that same generator would output 50 Hz. To deliver its rated current and voltage the generator must run at its constant rated speed.

The guy in these forums who is quite good and knowledgeable with GTI (Grid Tie Inverter) circuits is TCMTech who hopefully see this thread as I am sure he could shed considerable light on that subject.

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I think one of my problems may be that with a pulley configuration for the low rpm's it can not take high load. I will experiment more though. Thanks for the recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back