Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice for improving a Ultrasonic Dog Bark Stopper

Status
Not open for further replies.

crcinky

I'm not really great on electronic circuitry or theory but was wondering if the output of a commercial dog bark stop product (usually 25-30 Khz I think) could it be used as the input signal to a 50-100 W amp that operates in that frequency range and then be fed to a pair of piezo tweeters or horns to increase the range of the unit?

Yeah, sure if you want to cause permanent hearing damage to anything near it, including humans. Ultrasonic bark stoppers do not work, with some dogs it'll actually irritate them further.

Common amps and speakers will not work at those high frequencys. The upper limit is usually 20Khz. Anything higher would be exotic and cost a lot of money.

Last edited:
Vacuum tube amplifiers had output transformers that did not go above 20kHz.
Amplifiers with germanium transistors also did not go above 20kHz.
But today, most audio amplifiers (but not guitar amplifiers) go to at least 100kHz.

The cheap piezo tweeters used for guitar speakers barely make 18kHz. They produce nothing at 25kHz to 30kHz.

Best and non electronic method to stop your dog from barking:

Shout into his/her ear as soon as he/she starts barking - and use maximum loudness!

Dogs learn quickly!

Boncuk

Last edited:
Best and non electronic method to stop your dog from barking:

Shout into his/her ear as soon as he/she starts barking - and use maximum loudness!

Dogs learn quickly!

Boncuk

My dog would bite your head off. :)

But in reality, it's just a loud noise, you have to teach the dog what you want it to do about it. If its painfully loud, you're are just being cruel. It's also kind of dangerous for humans, since they won't hear it, they might stand next to the speaker, and it will do damage, just like any other loud sound.

Doesn't matter if they can hear it or not Harvey, the energy in a waveform goes up linearly with frequency, it will damage hearing even if you can't register the sounds , the energy is there. A 100 watt tweeter like that would be pretty close to the same energy delivery as 500 watts in the range of human speech, being in the same room as that much energy regardless of weather or not you can hear it will damage your hearing, human or dog.

I think Harvey hit the nail right on the head though, it's about training, you have to teach the dog that when it hears a tone that it's to stop. That's how Invisible fence systems work, the tone itself doesn't stop the dog it's the training. If this if for nuisance critters it simply will not work in the long run. A dog may be startled a few times by it but when there's no negative reinforcement (nothing bad happens to it) then it'll just ignore it, and anything loud enough to cause pain to hearing will also cause hearing damage and that's not humane.

My old dog and new dog learned quickly not to bark because I told them "NO" each time when they barked.
My neighbour's old dog and new dog bark all the time because they do nothing about it.

My dog would bite your head off. :)

I bet mine would do the same to you, too. :D

The difference: It has to be "his master's voice"

My two Golden Retrievers (45 and 40kg) have pretty low and loud voices. They learned within one day that I don't like them bark and howl with the rest of the dogs in the village.

If they start barking I just need to say "Shut up" with normal speech volume.

Boncuk

Yeah, I use the same voice every now and then, had to two three times so far with my stepson, he drops tail and listens whenever I do it, never even have to raise a finger, because he knows I mean it. The noise itself means nothing, unless the critter involved understands the connotations associated with it.

Yeah, I use the same voice every now and then, had to two three times so far with my stepson, he drops tail and listens whenever I do it, never even have to raise a finger, because he knows I mean it. The noise itself means nothing, unless the critter involved understands the connotations associated with it.

I knew something must be wrong with your family. :)

If your stepson drops tail you better look sharp. :D

My Dad calls it 'the voice' But my Dad is a bigger guy.
I'm a generally meek in mannerism and appearance, but I can stop traffic if the situation warrants it.

I'd appreciate an easy to understand translation for foreigners (especially Germans). :D

Still something is going wrong if your stepson has to drop tail. :)

I don't understand what you mean when you say something is wrong when my stepson has to drop tail? Yer definitely not thinking the same thing as me.

I speeky zee English and nothing else. I have never heard about a person dropping his/her tail.
My dog 's tail is usually high until she is scared. Then she drops her tail (it almost goes between her legs).
Same thing? Do you scare your stepson?

Apparently you guys don't know your canine social hierarchy cues =>, Drop tail is a common term that means someone is showing their acquiescence to the authority of another in a confrontation. Dogs growl and bare their teeth at each other, humans sometimes yell. No I don't scare him we get along fine, I've had to yell at him a few times though he's 13 years old, teenage defiance will never go away =)

Usually dogs bark, to get your attention, they want your opinion on something. I've found it best to go see what they find so interesting, talk to them in a normal, calm voice. You don't want to encourage then, by being to positive or appreciative (since you probably aren't), but you don't want to scold, yell, or punish them either. They are trying to do something useful for you, like fertilizing the neighbor's yard (they don't seem to appreciate that, anymore than the barking, don't figure...). But if you just yell at them, they tend to believe you are just joining in on the fun, the learn from example. You get loud and aggressive (beat them), the learn to be loud, and aggressive (bite), what ever starts the barking, will continue to trigger the unwanted behavior. If you go and look, and show it's not important, they stop bothering you. They don't want to upset you, just help you.

A noisy neighbor dog, is the owners responsibility, and trying to talk to them is usually the best route, they probably don't care for the barking and complaints either. Most people don't know how to train their pets. Unfortunately, the nuisance barkers, are usually owned by negligent masters, who lock the dog outside at night, or keep them on a chain, and it's the only way they know the dog is still alive. Best to call the police or animal control. The dog would be better of in a new home.

My neighbour kept his dog in a dog house outside. It barked 24 hours day and night in the winter because it was freezing. It died from the cold.
Now the same neighbour had two more dogs. Guess what happened this recent winter?

Last edited:
My neighbour kept his dog in a dog house outside. It barked 24 hours day and night in the winter because it was freezing. It died from the cold.
Now the same neighbour had two more dogs. Guess what happened this recent winter?

They barked day and night, and the put a heater in the dog house?

When the temperature outside dropped to -20 degrees C my neighbour's dogs were in the unheated dog house with an opening in its front.
No wonder they were barking all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back