Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice and information connecting Hex coded rotary switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Hello esteemed forum,
I am a complete novice in electronics and to the wonderful world of the PIC (slowly but surely getting there!).I am working on a PIC project whereby i set the count how many times a switch is pressed before illuminating a LED i.e. LED lights up after the switch is pressed 8 times or 10 times or 12 times etc. This count should be set outside of the PIC and once set is constant until the "count" is changed. I thought of doing this with a Hex/Binary coded rotary switch (See image). This rotary switch would connect to four pins on the PIC with a single input to the rotary switch. My questions are the following :
1. Is this the correct way to achieve this?
2. On a Hex coded switch there are 16 switch settings and only four connections. How are 16 options achieved with only four inputs?
3. Am I correct in assuming that this rotary switch would give me 16 options i.e. 6/8/10/12/14/16 etc different key press options to light the LED?
4. How would the software in the PIC detect 16 options if 16 options in fact is what I will get?
Thank you in advance.
Barry.

Attachments

• switch_703.jpg
    switch_703.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 517
Re: Advice and information connecting Hex coded rotary switc

Barry said:
Hello esteemed forum,
I am a complete novice in electronics and to the wonderful world of the PIC (slowly but surely getting there!).I am working on a PIC project whereby i set the count how many times a switch is pressed before illuminating a LED i.e. LED lights up after the switch is pressed 8 times or 10 times or 12 times etc. This count should be set outside of the PIC and once set is constant until the "count" is changed. I thought of doing this with a Hex/Binary coded rotary switch (See image). This rotary switch would connect to four pins on the PIC with a single input to the rotary switch. My questions are the following :
1. Is this the correct way to achieve this?

It looks good to me!.

2. On a Hex coded switch there are 16 switch settings and only four connections. How are 16 options achieved with only four inputs?

Presumably, as it's called a 'HEX coded switch', the output on the four pins is the HEX value of the number selected - 0x00 to 0x0F.

3. Am I correct in assuming that this rotary switch would give me 16 options i.e. 6/8/10/12/14/16 etc different key press options to light the LED?

I would have thought so.

4. How would the software in the PIC detect 16 options if 16 options in fact is what I will get?

It's very, very, easy - just connect the switch to the lower 4 bits of a port (with pullup resistors). Then simply read the port in to W, AND it with 0x0F (to clear the upper nibble), the W register them holds the selected value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back