Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advertisement to sell bottled water by illuminating a 12-pack of 600ml (20oz) water bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backgammon Player

Hello everybody!
I own a little beverage store and as an advertisement I hung a 12-pack (4X3 bottles) of emptied PET water bottles with a price tag (above the water pack) from my fence on a rod near the road. It moves a bit in the wind and gained some attention. To make it more attractive I'd like to illuminate it, probably with LEDs.

I already watched a hundred videos about lit bottles but there's no whole lit water pack on youtube. I also looked at google pictures without success. So I have a hard time imagining what it would look like with different lights. My PET water bottles are translucent but because of the blue label the pack looks blueish in daylight. My goal for the illuminated pack is that the bottles are visible and not that it looks like some big fireball. I thought about using this blue LED strip: https://www.amazon.com/Newstyle-SMD...43&sr=8-1&keywords=narrow+led+string+blue#Ask
This strip has the very bright SMD 5630 LEDs but is not programmable to do fancy stuff like gleaming, fading out etc. On the other hand I don't know if I'd need such fancy stuff. I mean I don't have a disco. But then again if it would cost only a few bucks more why not? But there is no 5m (96,8') blue 300 LEDs strip on Amazon that is programmable. Because I probably only need to illuminate the 10 outer bottles (not sure though if lighting also the 2 inner bottles too would be better) I'd have 25-27 LEDs for each bottle (some loss between the bottles). I'm thinking of using a spiral to stick the LED strip to it because it might not look nice if I just stuff them just like that into the bottles.

Another possibility would be to illuminate each bottle from the bottom with a single, bigger LED and fill the bottles with water, some blue glow stuff and maybe some glitter. But similar projects on youtube are mostly about magic potions for Halloween and the glow might be over in a few days. I would like my project to work for a year at least. If there is long-lasting glow stuff I could give the water pack a shake every dawn, no problem.
Then I was thinking if I should use a single UV light under each bottle. Damn, I'm confused. I can't afford to buy everything and then compare how it looks.

As a price tag I wanted to use a bit bigger programmable LED display than a name tag because prices will change.

The end goal is that people driving by in cars and on motorbikes and pedestrians should recognize that they get their water bottle pack from me for a very cheap price, even cheaper than from a supermarket. To make this a success for me I obviously need lots of customers because I only have a very small profit from each sold pack.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
How about using a day-glo dye (e.g., fluorescein or rhodamine). Only a tiny bit is needed. Fluorescein is used as a leak marker for various things, including refrigerants. Rhodamine is red. Calcofluor-white is used as a whitening agent in laundry detergents. There are a lot of choices. Sunlight has more than enough UV to excite those dyes. If the display is at night, you could use a UV LED.

John

Thx jpanhalt for your suggestions. I think it should look blue though because it's about water. Great, dye was the search term to look for. This here looks like a good thing as it's not expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Bl...ng=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3DREPPWF63M73Z1VZFV5#Ask
With the colored water it might be sufficient if I put this strip under the pack of bottles.https://www.amazon.com/Exulight-Bla...25906&sr=8-6&keywords=uv+led+strip+waterproof
Probably the dye water diffuses the light, so I think I have to take it out of the sun in daytime because it will probably get too hot in the tropical sun here for the dye. That's what I read about computer cooling dyes. I'll ask the the seller to be sure.

Without knowing the dye that is being sold, I cannot add much to my comment except to emphasize that if it is fluorescent, you probably need very little dye in the solution.

The thing with fluorescent solutions is that too much dye will "quench" the fluorescence, so you will only see a glow at the bottom. Less dye will allow the entire solution to glow.

Quenching is due to the fact that at high concentrations all of the incident light (i.e., the light that excites the molecules to fluoresce) is absorbed within a few mm of the surface. Re-emitted light is not very effective in causing additional absorption-emission "reactions." If you are curious, look up "Stokes shift."

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back