Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advancements in vehicle search algorithms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Im working on a project where the vehicle must scan an area and have some sort of efficient scan pattern (its scanning for buried treasures).

Im here to ask for any robotics links that deals with anything remotely to do with the latest advancements in the industry in:

• Position Finding - knowing the vehicles position
  • Anything robotic related where the robot uses algorithms or some method to calculate something interesting in its movement, like a scan pattern eg. travelling salesman problem? ANYTHING!

I hope Ive been able explain where Im trying to get at. Its just to give me some direction and also for me to do the Background section in my report.

I will appreciate any links anyone has to give. Thanks very much.

Last edited:
I've interpreted your questions as asking for an efficient method to scan and area.

This is not a trivial problem.

For some years I've been looking for a method to make a robotic lawnmower that didn't use a random mow sequence.

The most simple process for your problem is as follows:

1. Determine the sensor width of the robot.

2. Create a tube on stand. The tube has a diameter of 1/3rd the sensor width.

3. Coil a length of rope around the tube. Attach one end to the tube, the other end to the robot.

4. Have the robot drop the "tube on the stand" in the middle of the field.

5. Have the robot rotate around the tube, using the length of the unwinding rope to set its distance from the pole.

This idea came from a next door neighbor who attached his powered mower to a rope tied to a tree. As the mower wrapped the rope around the tree it cut a smooth track, getting closer to the tree. As the tree grew, the mower width had to get bigger.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has a better idea.

Last edited:
Here is another approach:

Take a swept laser beam, like that used by building contractors to find "the level" during construction.

Turn it one it's side so the beam creates a vertical plane.

A robot can travel the beam to maintain a straight course.

To manage overlapping sweeps the laser beam has to move one sweep width after each pass.

This suggests using two robots. One robot holds the laser beam. The other robot actually scans the ground in the search area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back