Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advanced Race Car Steering Wheel Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_ash1983

I found this info at AtariArchives: https://www.atariarchives.org/ccc/chapter6.php.

It's enough for most racing games. But for some PC gamers like me who wanted more than just a steering wheel and a button on it, it's not worth playing. I want a steering wheel controller with more functions:

* Gas & Brake Pedal
* Shift Lever (Up/Down)
* E-Brake Lever
* Programmable Buttons on top of the wheel, just like any other steering wheel controllers
* Can support either USB or Game Port

What I need is only the schematic diagram and the parts list, since the construction is already shown on the website I mentioned above. I hope you guys could help me. Thanks in advance.

You're basically talking about takeing the electronics for a standard game controller which are simple enough and spreading them out over the space of an entire human body, not an easy task.
They already make commerical products like this I'd suggest looking into them. Building one on your own would likley cost more and be a real pain to make.

Do a search on google for PC raceing wheel and you'll find many links to consumer electronics stores that sell exactly what you've described.

Last edited:
I already know about that. I can buy a game controller if I want to, but don't you think that it's worth the money for a game controller that I made MYSELF? Besides, making my very own steering wheel controller for playing games is not only my reason. You see, we will be having our school's "IT Week" and I wanna present something they haven't done before. Most devices seen in our IT week are audio anmplifiers, motor-related devices, and some stuff used for everyday life.

dj_ash1983 said:
I found this info at AtariArchives: http://www.atariarchives.org/ccc/chapter6.php.

It's enough for most racing games. But for some PC gamers like me who wanted more than just a steering wheel and a button on it, it's not worth playing. I want a steering wheel controller with more functions:

* Gas & Brake Pedal
* Shift Lever (Up/Down)
* E-Brake Lever
* Programmable Buttons on top of the wheel, just like any other steering wheel controllers
* Can support either USB or Game Port

What I need is only the schematic diagram and the parts list, since the construction is already shown on the website I mentioned above. I hope you guys could help me. Thanks in advance.

Well I do not know about the game port offhand but here is a USB module that will talk to a PC and a thumb drive with an easy micro interface:

http://www.vinculum.com/prd_vdip1.html

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back