Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADSL Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

HairyPotter

Hi, I use ADSL (now ADSL 2+) to access the web. These "new and modern" technology allow theoretical speeds of up to 24 Mbps. This is theory, cause in practice I don't know any one with speeds greater than 3 or 4 Mbps.

They say the speed depends on several factors, but the truth is that ADSL in the way it is implemented actually is a bad service, as signal fast degrades with distance.

Then I tought that could be a light at the end of the tunnel if we can build a signal amplifier to be used on our homes to amplify the signal. What do you think?

In my case, for example, I have a 44 dB attenuation in my downstream signal and a 9 dB attenuation in my upstream signal.

I could not design a circuit like that, but if someone out there can and think it will solve the problem, please answer this. Anyway, I would like to hear the oppinion from you.

thanks.

It's no good amplifying the signal once it's degraded, you would need to do it BEFORE it was degraded - that is between the exchange and yourself. This obviously isn't possible for you to do!.

ADSL isn't a 'bad service', it's incredible for what it does - squeezing high speed digital data down a really low speed, low quality, voice bandwidth pair of copper wires.

You already have an excellent speed connection, don't be greedy!.

As Nigel said ADSL is a fantastic invention!!! there are miles and miles and miles of copper for telephone and as you know the maximum speed that could take via utilising the exchance was 56k.

ADSL sends bursts of packets of a particular shape so as to to to maximise the data-rate.

Whats the alternaive? rip up all the copper and replace with fibre?
Sure great in theory but the cost would be staggering

ADSL is great. Especially compared to some alternative ideas that are very very bad, like many of the BPL (broadband over Power Line) technologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back