Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable regulator modules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using these of Ebay, they are similar but $1.50 ea freight free in lots of 5. They work great LM2596S REG.JPG

I've got some of those too debe - nice little modules but I've found the input capacitor gets quite warm on mine.

LM2596 REG+VOLT.1.JPG
LM2596 REG+VOLT.2.JPG
Another one from Ebay ive been using has a volt meter, & can by pressing the push switch read output or input voltage. These are $2.48 + 99c freight.

Yup - I have one of those too. Mine is about 0.5v out on the readings though - not incredibly accurate.

I also have a programmable digital switching CV / CC supply which I have yet to play properly with but also seems to work quite nicely from a quick test.

banggood.com may have the mp3 player I need.
**broken link removed**
How are they to work with, Nigel?

How are they to work with, Nigel?

I've had no problems with them, it takes a while for stuff to arrive from China, but as postage is free I can't really complain :D

I've just ordered a little Function Generator, about £23 - although at that much I'm probably going to get stung for import duty and VAT :(

Still, it's cheap enough not to bother about the extra costs (and you never know, it 'might' sneak through :D).

I've had a couple of issues with products from Banggood - they have always responded to my emails promptly and always resolved any issues.

Someone from another forum bought a hose pipe from them, it failed on the first use and he reported the issue to them - they sent out a replacement straight away which worked fine.

They certainly seem to be one of the better Chinese sellers :)

BangGood is great! I've spent over 1000 Euros ordering from them since August.
Test equipment and parts.
They process quickly. I use Paypal. Almost any item ships free. Two items I paid 1.07 Euros shipping but it may have been my fault for not checking the shipping source.

They are VERY helpful if a problem shows up.

They have MANY voltage converters. Both of the above.

I ordered some of these and found them to be very useful as LED drivers that limit current after some modification. For instance, I had a broken spot light, there was a little spring rolling around inside the bulb, according to my wife after she dropped it, filament. :)
So I took some 3W leds and reflectors and mounted them in the spot light. There are 3 sets of 2 LEDs in series with a modified step down module. The modification is to remove the pot and 1 resistor, cut or remove some traces, drill a hole for the lead of a new resistor and remove some ground plane on the back side from around the hole. Now each LED passes just under 700 ma at any voltage from about 10 to 24 vdc. Very bright, probably just as bright as it was before, but a whiter light and not quite as sharp edges, but just about the same width of beam - narrow-.
The value of the resistor is .9 volt divided by current desired, I use a 1.3Ω resistor. The return from the LED ties to the lead of the added resistor.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo_00004.jpg
    Photo_00004.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 185
Nigel, I've heard some people who order from BangGood route the packages through The Netherlands.
I don't know how to do it but you might ask customer service.
I have not yet had extra charges added to my parcels.

Nigel, I've heard some people who order from BangGood route the packages through The Netherlands.
I don't know how to do it but you might ask customer service.
I have not yet had extra charges added to my parcels.

I've had no charges yet either, but as long as it's less than £20 or so I believe it's exempt of charges?.

I've got an item coming that's just over £21, so I'll see what happens with that :D

Nigel,

I missed your post last year. They do look like interesting modules. Are the four solder blobs next to the trimmer for adding resistors to convert to a fixed voltage? The size and price are comparable to some SparkFun boost converters based on the NCP1402 (0.65" x 0.50").

Do you have any opinion about them yet based on use?

JOhn

I know these little boards are relatively new but wondered if anyone has been using them for some time in continuous mode and can comment on their reliability ?

Have used linear regulators for so many years and find they are extremely reliable provided they are run at sensible levels and heatsinking.

Yet we are told we should be using the dc buck converters because they are so much more efficient etc.

The ones I have got seem to be ok , and though the chips are LMs I do not recognize the manufacturers logo , something like a figure 8 on its side; expect its a China clone ?

So for a project that intended for long term use, what would others do, stick to linear regs, use the China modules or copy the China modules but using genuine parts from the main suppliers ?

So for a project that intended for long term use, what would others do, stick to linear regs, use the China modules or copy the China modules but using genuine parts from the main suppliers ?
Hi Wp,
I have been using two of these power supplies for about 3 weeks, they work OK, they are powering a PIC, nrf24 transceivers and SD Cards
I accidentally shorted one out for a few seconds, after removing the short it still worked OK.

I always chose the product source depending upon the final application.
If its safety critical project I buy assured products with a paper trail, for general use the cheaper products do the job just fine.

If the project is a low power, high gain analog system I prefer linear in order to minimise any noise problems on the power rails, for medium to high power a SMPS would be my choice.

E

LM2596S no load 2us-div horz, .1V-div 10-1 probe.JPG
LM2596S small load 2uS-div Horz .1V-div 10-1 probe.JPG
On another forum a person claimed they got some with an incorrectly marked chip. They were marked LM2596 which run at 150Khz, but didn't they ran at 50Khz. I did purchase mine from the cheapest Chinese Ebay seller & im quite happy with the ones I purchased. Did a few checks on mine to see what I had & they appear genuine. The wave forms are taken on pin 2 of the chip, CRO set at 2Us/div, Vert .1V/div probe on x10. One pict is no load & the other is with about300ma load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back