Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable PWM Voltage Reducer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axle Roads

I need a circuit for an adjustable voltage reducer. My analog switching instrument voltage reducer (limiter) is broken and I would like to build a better one.

Input voltage 12V - 15V
Output voltage 5V - 7V
Max Output current 3Amp (estimated)
Battery -> IVR -> Load (gages)

I'm just beginning to learn about switched-mode power supply and pulse width modification; LM317, 555. Variation in input voltage will be minimal, so I imagine even a scr might work.

This is the closest circuit I have found so far. I found it on this site. I've looked at data-sheets and prev. posts. I'm having trouble finding something with a high enough amp tolerance. Not sure if I need a transducer. If I could just make a PWM unit to 6 or 7 volts I could maybe tune my gages with a variable resistor or Z-diode. What do you think?

It is called a buck converter. The circuit you attached is similar to a buck converter, but is not one.

Last edited:
"My analog switching instrument voltage reducer (limiter) is broken "
Is this in a car?

This circuit is for a 40 year old car. I recently upgraded the alternator and shorty after the IVR fried. **broken link removed** The stock replacement part is $35. I need to build something tomorrow to power the fuel gauge and temperature gauge. I'm hoping to do it using common ic for around 6-7 dollars. I need help with the details so I don't wast my money buying needless parts. I'm not sure how many amps these gauges pull, It might be just enough overload a LM317 (1.5A).

I like the idea of using am SMPS and PWM. It'll be similar to how the original worked and use a smaller heatsink than the linear reducers I've found on the web so far. Example: **broken link removed**, 2.

Any suggestions?

I have an old truck with a dead instrument regulator like yours. I tried making a regulator using a 7806 and a heat sink. I also tried the LM317. They almost worked. Some of the instruments worked well and some did not. They were off a little in the readings. The original regulator, at 12 volts is on 50% of the time. Some of the instruments are OK with 6 volts and others needed the 12 volts at 50%.

I ended replacing all the old instruments with new ones and new senders. The new instruments do not need a regulator. They work from 12 volts. They look just like the old ones (if you black out the name).

Attachments

• Sunpro.jpg
    Sunpro.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 368
Axel, do you know how fast the old bimetal reducer switched on/off? As Ron says, to make the instuments read right, some are expecting their input power to pulse on/off with something like a 50% duty cycle, but the rate is important. I vaguely remember an old Ford I had you could almost see the needles twitch :)

Thanks guys. I 'm guessing the duty cycle is slightly less than 50 percent, since I've read that other people have had success using an LM317 set at 5.3 V. I ordered an adjustable step down switch-mode power unit.. It's adjustable from 3 V to 13 V output using screw. **broken link removed** I ran out of time in my search for the right circuit diagram. Hopefully this will be a cheaper than stock, more or less plug and play solution. Thanks again for your help.

moe in wichita ks go to allpar i think some where they have an art on puting a 7505.. the circuit that reg runs uses 5-6 volts to run some of your gauges. its a common failur

Hi, they sale this universal one on ebay. Its range is much broader and current up to 3amps.

**broken link removed**

The gauges dont need to be pwm. Some 5v regualtors only put out 4.98 volts.
The gauges need about 5.10-5.15 to work right. Fixed regulators will never work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back