Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable Current Source max 10A

Status
Not open for further replies.

drekkY

Hellow,

For a project I need an adjustable current source with a maximum output of 10A. This current will be used to make an electromagnet, the coil of the magnet has a resistance of 1,590 ohm, sow the maximum power will be around 16V.
I can't find any schematics of such a supply on the internet, can anybody give me some information on this?

Greetings!

If the resistance is 1,590 ohms, a 100v supply will pass only 0.06Amps.

To deliver 1 amp will need a 1,590 volt supply.

Last edited:
I believe the resistance is 1.59 ohms (USA notation) thus the need for 16V to get 10A.

Any standard bench power supply that will provide 10A at 16V will work. Many companies make such supplies. If you Google "10a adjustable power supply" you'll get many hits.

Last edited:
I know it is possible to buy such a source, but it have to make my own.
The LM3886 (**broken link removed**) can deliver a current up to 11500 mA. But I don't think the circuit mentioned on the above page meets my requirements.
Can anybody help me with an alternative circuit?

I also need one for driving power LEDs.I found one which uses LM317 but it can can give up to 2.2 A max.So I am searching for other alternatives.

Use Google and look for high power led driver.....You use an external PNP power transistor to supplement the 317's current capability....See here...

Last edited:
thanx..that is simple and cheap solution......if we can use P-MOSFET than can have more current...and can you say what is max current we can get??

thanx..that is simple and cheap solution......if we can use P-MOSFET than can have more current...and can you say what is max current we can get??

Experiment........Thats what it's all about....How do you think I learnt?

Last edited:
Can anybody help me with an alternative circuit?

Look at this sim. Its a place for you to start. Note the power dissipation in the FET and in the shunt. You will have to use a LARGE heatsink.

Attachments

• CurrentReg.jpg
    CurrentReg.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1,017
I think voltage is much less...I need to drive 3 LEDs in series so I need 12 V.
and I can't understand use of two power supply...

Last edited:
I think voltage is much less...I need to drive 3 LEDs in series so I need 12 V.
and I can't understand use of two power supply...

The first ...unregulated supply is like your battery....

The second is a control supply...vary it and you vary the current...fix the voltage at some pre-determined level and the current is fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back