Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding LEDs to ICs (PIC - MAX232) Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johankj

Hi again :)

I have built a circuit with a PIC 16F627 and a MAX232CPE, I use the hardware USART on the PIC, which is connected to the MAC232CPE (RS232 chip).

Now I want to add two status LEDs to the RX and TX, so that when the line goes high (logic high), the LEDs lights up. I don't want to put anything in there to affect coms between the chips.

Anu suggestions?

Just resistors and LED's on the lines, certainly the PIC is well able to drive a LED, and the MAX232 should be OK as long as you don't try and draw excessive current off of it - so don't run the LED's too bright.

You used to be able to buy RS232 monitors (and probably still can?), which plugged in the RS232 side and had LED's for all lines - I've still got one.

Ok, cheers Nigel. I will do that. I guess the PIC side shouldn't be a problem (25mA), just unsure about the MAX232 side.

I've got one RS232 line monitor too :) Very usefull

BTW, it's on the TTL side, not the RS232 side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back