Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adding a 12 volt power supply to a stereo receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle B

Hello all!

I am new to the forum and I am an amateur when it comes to electronics, but I know some of the basics.

My idea is this: I have a new pioneer home theater receiver that did not come with a switched 120 volt output like my previous one and I want it to switch on a 120mm 12vdc case fan that will be mounted on the rear of the cabinet where the receiver resides. I know about the power strips that sense a current draw that switches on separate outlets on the strip, but i want to minimize clutter and expense. I would like to install a 12 volt DC transformer inside the receiver housing that piggybacks the 120vac inlet. I am considering using an adapter that came with my kids powerwheels, but it might be too big for the case. The fan I'll be using draws .25 amps @ 12vdc. There are $5 12vdc adapters on ebay with 2000ma current ratings that are smaller than the powerwheels adapter, but would they be sufficient to run the fan(s) for hours at a time?

Thanks,
Kyle

Any good quality regulated 12VDC adapter with a continuous current rating > 0.5A or so should be ok.

DO NOT put a 60Hz transformer inside an audio receiver because it will probably radiate its 60Hz into the audio signals. The 60Hz might even interfere with the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back