Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Add switch to 4mm socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

When a plug is plugged into a 4mm socket, I want it to actuate an isolated switch (to provide a logic level). Do ready made versions of this exist, or do I have to try and make one? Suggestions? Anybody?

Cheers :)

If you mean a standard 4mm banana type, I've never seen one that was switched (like a mic/speaker jack, for instance). A quickie google didn't provide anything, either.

Adapting one to your purposes sounds like a bit of a bear.

Course, that doesn't mean there are none...

I have never seen one.

But if you have machining facilities (a lathe) it should be fairly easy to run a push rod up the centre of the socket and use that to actuate a microswitch.

How strong this modified connector would be is open to debate (and testing!)

Jimb

A few second thoughts.
Have a look at the attachment.

The black terminal shows my initial idea, but that would be quite involved to make.

The red terminal just involves drilling one hole and mounting an opto switch to "look" through the hole.
When there is no plug inserted, the light from the opto will pass through the connector.
When the plug is inserted, the light path is obstructed.

JimB

Attachments

• 4mm Terminals modified.jpg
    4mm Terminals modified.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 133
Opto switch - bingo! What a great idea - thanks! I have a few led/sensor pairs from scrap :)

Glad that I could "Make Your Day"

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back