Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey guys im not a noob when it comes to takin in samples from ADC but i wanted to know... can we use ADC to calc battery voltage like...

Lets say my battery is a 3.6v and it drops to 3v...

How do i still use that 3.6v from before ? Like if i use my main power *Battery* as the VREF then it will always show 100% since its the refrence... How to i check level against power that isnt there?

Anyway the basic question is how to use ADC for battery monitor?

Some microcontrollers have an internal reference, like the MSP430 has a 2.5V internal reference. If that's not the case, if you are using a regulator, you can sample the actual battery voltage through a voltage divider and use your voltage after the regulator as the reference. Otherwise you will need to buy a reference voltage IC to supply VREF with a reduced stable voltage.

Hey guys im not a noob when it comes to takin in samples from ADC but i wanted to know... can we use ADC to calc battery voltage like...

Lets say my battery is a 3.6v and it drops to 3v...

How do i still use that 3.6v from before ? Like if i use my main power *Battery* as the VREF then it will always show 100% since its the refrence... How to i check level against power that isnt there?

Anyway the basic question is how to use ADC for battery monitor?
hi atom,
Instead of using the PIC's internal +Vref as you are doing at the present, you select one of the adc pins as +Vref in, use a 2.52Vref IC... not expensive.
EDIT: or a 1.25V ref

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Can someone supply me with a sample of a VREF IC? How do they work? Do they simple take a input and supply the output with low current?

Thanks for the info. Can someone supply me with a sample of a VREF IC? How do they work? Do they simple take a input and supply the output with low current?

hi atom,
Look at this.

EDIT.
added pdf

Attachments

• 1_2Vref.pdf
    111.9 KB · Views: 141
  • ADR512.pdf
    208.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
How do you think i should monitor the battery.. since im using ADC. Using a VREF IC .. if i use a 3.3v VREF will it drop below 3.3v is the battery is less than 3.3v? Is that why you are posting a 1.2v vref? how would i check if its 2.8v using a 1.2v? i see its 1/3 of the battery... is it simply just multiply my results?

How do you think i should monitor the battery.. since im using ADC. Using a VREF IC .. if i use a 3.3v VREF will it drop below 3.3v is the battery is less than 3.3v? Is that why you are posting a 1.2v vref? how would i check if its 2.8v using a 1.2v? i see its 1/3 of the battery... is it simply just multiply my results?

hi,
Its just a little maths if you want the actual battery voltage or a compare voltage if less than 'do something'

HOLY MOLY LOL look:
**broken link removed**

Even tho i read on Micrel:

***PRODUCTS BELOW ARE OBSOLETE***
***NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NEW DESIGNS***

LM4040AIM3-2.5
LM4040BIM3-2.5
LM4040AIM3-4.1
LM4040BIM3-4.1
LM4040AIM3-5.0
LM4040BIM3-5.0
LM4041AIM3-1.2
LM4041BIM3-1.2

$4 (USD) for 50 pcs is nice!!! Thats $0.08 (USD) each

Last edited:
E-Bay link looks really good.

The Micrel obsolete part numbers aren't available to buy, so it doesn't really mean anything to us.

hi atom,
This a 2.5V option, quite cheap.

Attachments

• 94402.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 155
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back