Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adapting CD Player to add Audio Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

martynball

Hey, I know nothing about electronics. I was wondering if it is POSSIBLE to add an audio jack to my CD player so that I can play audio from my laptop through my laptop.

Currently my CD player only has an audio jack which OUTPUT's audio to earphones. Taking a random guess here but i'm guessing that there are two cables which transmit the audio data from the CD laser reader to the speakers?

Would I be able to simply add some wires to that connection to transmit the audio data from my audio OUTPUT on my laptop to the same place?

If so would the power be the same, or would I need to add resisters ect to stop power going into my laptop?

All of the about is guesses as I don't know electronics really. I would use a male to male audio jack to connect the two of course.

Why? Well my speakers on my laptop are not the best and it's a cheaper way to make it louder, instead of buying speakers for the laptop. Thanks for any responses.

Yes, there are two audio out signals from the CD laser reader to the player audio amp but locating those may not be easy without a schematic of the CD player. These days all those functions are usually closely integrated on a few chips on a circuit board which makes it difficult to isolate the signals you want. If it has a pot type rotary volume control you might be able to tap into that point for the signals. If it just has the common up/down type push-button controls then that wouldn't work.

In summary I'm not optimistic about doing what you want.

Yes, there are two audio out signals from the CD laser reader to the player audio amp but locating those may not be easy without a schematic of the CD player. These days all those functions are usually closely integrated on a few chips on a circuit board which makes it difficult to isolate the signals you want. If it has a pot type rotary volume control you might be able to tap into that point for the signals. If it just has the common up/down type push-button controls then that wouldn't work.

In summary I'm not optimistic about doing what you want.

Okay thank-you, I will open it up tomorrow and take a look. I might just simply buy some speakers as that is much more simplify. I was hoping to do this, as then I can use my speakers for both devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back