Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AD633 Multiplier Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanaz

Hi All,
I am trying to make a simple circuit that will square the input to a AD633 (four quadrant multiplier) in Multisim but for some reason don't get expected output results.

I have a variable supply feeding the AD633 and the circuit is setup as per the datasheet for the chip but as I said, output results are not as expected.

Can anyone show me what I have set up wrong?

I have attached a screen dump of the circuit.

Thanks.

Stanza
View attachment 61491

Last edited:
So what output are you expecting and what output do you get?:confused:

Thanks for the reply crutschow.

The input to the multiplier is a 0-12V wheatson bridge strain gauge but for the purpose of the simulation I have just created a variable power supply that will go from 0-12V.

The output that I am getting is locked at around 11.4V and will not vary when the input is changed. I also get random convergence issues sometimes also.

I don't neccessarily need to use the AD633 multiplier if someone has an alternative circuit to suggest.

Any help is appreciated guys.

Thanks.

I believe your problem is the V2 floating power supply. Common IC circuits typically don't operate properly with ungrounded supplies. The AD633 is rated to operate with separate plus and minus 15V (grounded) supplies but you should be able to operate from your single 24V grounded supply if you ground the VS- input, apply the 24V to the VS+ input, and the multiplier X & Y inputs stay within the limits of +4V to +20V.

Edit: The Z input also needs to be within +4V to +20V, which can be generated with a voltage divider. The Z voltage determines the DC output level of the multiplier.

Last edited:
similar problem AD633

Hi all,

Could anyone point me in the right direction with the attached picture? Getting no change in output voltage with a change in the input.

Thanks

The examples I have seen have V- at -15V not at ground. From the data sheet I get the idea the real part will not work if the inputs are with in 5 volts of V+ or V-. That is what Crutschow is saying.

In your circuit you have some of the inputs at 0V and V- at 0V so it should not work.

Surreal to say the least!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back