Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Active Low or Active High

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoGilles

Hi all,

First, let me say that I am comfortable with the concepts of active high and active low.

What I would like to know is some guidelines as to when to use one versus the other when defining my own microcontroller/CPLD signals.

I've read a few topics about that on the Web, most of which, I must say, didn't make sense at all !

Thank you !

some general musings...

> Active low on any signals that go external, so a cut cable or pulled connector causes inactive states.
> Similarly, switches/contacts are easier to debounce as active low.
> Internally, no preference other than simplest/fewest # of gates. Exploring each way is good mental exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back