Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Active crossover how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased a amp unit and a sub driver and built a box, my only issue is i think i need a crossover as i need to remove all the high and middle tone and only leave the bass. this is for a DJ speaker with bass bin.

If someone can help with a schematic design for a variable one i would appreciate it.
the details for them both are.

Driver details:
Main Parameters:
Nominal diameter: 15”
Ohms: 8 ohms
Power handling Peak: 400 watts
Power Handling RMS: 200watts
Sensitivity: 96.4 db
Frequency Range: 48-4500hz

Thiele-Small Parameters
Fs 52.8Hz
Re 6.0 Ohms
Sd 34.6 sq.mm
Qms 9.9
Qes 0.60
Qts 0.57
Mms 28.8gr.
BL 9.8 Tm
Xmax +/- 5 mm
Le 0.6mH
Ref 101.6dB"

Amp modual:
Max Power: 400W
Sensitivity: 98dB
Frequency response: 45Hz-20Khz ( -3dB)
Microphone/Line input
Volume control

You could use the UAF42 filter chip. A Butterworth type filter with a 2nd order rolloff should give the desired rolloff. The typical desired cutoff frequency is 80-100Hz. You can use this free program from TI to help with the design.

But the easiest is just to buy one such as this.

Most half-decent 15" woofers have an Fs of 25Hz, not 52.8Hz.
Most half-decent amplifiers go down to 10Hz to 20Hz, not 45Hz.
Put them together and you will not have any deep bass. It will sound like a little 6.5" woofer.

You must see the manufacturer's recommended crossover frequency which will revealed on the frequency response graph that shows a peak somewhere around 3kHz to 5kHz. Your crossover circuit must remove the peak.

It might be better just to buy a subwoofer amp that goes below 45Hz and has a built in filter, such as one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back