Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Acer monitor dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy004

Hi guys my brother had an acer AL1716 LCD model and it just died all the sudden so I opened it up to see if there is a fuse in it but there was no fuse however it says something about replacing the fuse with the same type like seen in the picture. I had an old HP monitor that was given to me about 2 years ago because it had died and when I opened it up I noticed that one of the caps was blistered a bit so I replace it and it worked but on this one I didn't notice any caps that seam to be damaged. Can anyone please help me out of what might be the problem with this monitor your help will be greatly appreciated.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Thank You
Sammy

Looks like its a switch mode psu, the large black capacitor will have about 200 to 400vdc across it, as the mains will be rectified by the bridge on the right, then it will feed the oscillator transistor on the heat sink on the right, through the pulse transformer in yellow on the right. The output of the psu is rectified by the two diodes on the other heat sink, voltage feed back regulation is provided by the opto isolator ic (4pin).

start by checking the 400vdc is across the large electrolytic black cap, if so check if there is any outputs from the diodes on the heatsinks across the other black caps, prob 12v or more,depends on the design. the other two pulse transformers are for the back light tubes.

Last edited:
Looks like its a switch mode psu, the large black capacitor will have about 200 to 400vdc across it, as the mains will be rectified by the bridge on the right, then it will feed the oscillator transistor on the heat sink on the right, through the pulse transformer in yellow on the right. The output of the psu is rectified by the two diodes on the other heat sink, voltage feed back regulation is provided by the opto isolator ic (4pin).

start by checking the 400vdc is across the large electrolytic black cap, if so check if there is any outputs from the diodes on the heatsinks across the other black caps, prob 12v or more,depends on the design. the other two pulse transformers are for the back light tubes.

But I need a LCR meter to check the caps right?

It would be the first place I'd start

Thanks I will give that a try now otherwise I will try krytonrobots technique..........

.......Well the fuse seams to be good there is continuity between the 2 contacts.

Last edited:
change the capacitor on the hot side of the powersupply and check your transformator on the cold side might be the issue...

Fixing can be fun, but fixed is better. When was it purchased? My ACER AL1703 monitor came with a 3 year ACER warranty. I hadn't taken Micro Center up on an extension to their "tail lights over the hill" warranty. The backlight went out after 2-1/2 years. Checked my warranty card, called ACER and got an RMA, shipped it (my expense), and had it back in 3 weeks.

Fortunately my son loaned me one of his for the duration. :)

Ken

Accer monitor

look for your STB. before you do anything else. Make shure that the IC PWM is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back