Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Acceptable AC voltage on DC power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

Have a small plug in power supply for a device that is indicated as a 12VDC/600mA power supply. I am testing the output at 9.5V. I am also getting about 3.5VAC on the DC side. this is a simple center tapped transformer with 2 diodes, no caps. ?

I am really baffled why the voltage is low.... These things either work or they don't I thought... Has 2 inputs in the Xformer and 3 outs. I think one is the neutral carried over and the other is the opposite sides of the xformer to get full wave rectification. Both diodes test fine.

Am I missing something?

Looking at the resistance of the coils on the output, they seem inline so I am thinking there might be high resistance on the input side??

Last edited:
What happens if you connect a 470uF to 2000uF 15V electrolytic cap across it? Then load it with a ~30 Ohm 5W resistor shunted across the capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back