Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accelerometer selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssylee

I would like to have some inputs on how I should select an accelerometer that would help me measure an object's inclination with the ground (still unsure about the range of inclination that it has to be capable of measuring). Thanks.

ssylee said:
I would like to have some inputs on how I should select an accelerometer that would help me measure an object's inclination with the ground (still unsure about the range of inclination that it has to be capable of measuring). Thanks.
Assuming the thing is static when measuring incline (if it's moving it gets very difficult to measure incline with just an accelerometer).

Don't worry about the range of inclination...as long as each axis can measure up to the planet's gravity, it will be fine. THere are no limits to the range of inclination it can measure due to the way it works. YOu need at least 2 axis.

If you get 3 axis, and they are all matched relative to one another (ie. they all are a part of the same silicon and IC), then you can get rid of magnitude errors due to variations in gravity by just calculating the vector of gravity and look at it's direciton- ignore the magnitudes since they may or may not be off, but their relative magnitudes will be correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back