Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Accelerometer and small transmitter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

tremmert

Hello, I am trying to put an accelerometer and a small transmitter onto my dogs collar to measure her acceleration when running. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any information on this topic.

I have found several transmitters at Radio Control Modules but am not sure if any of them will support my idea. I would like to have a small as possible setup. Ideally, I would like to have the accelerometer output directly to the transmitter. Does anyone know if this is possible or if I have to add a microcontroller like a PIC. Hopefully I can keep the entire project under 1oz including the battery.

The receiving unit can be any size.

Look forward to hearing any ideas regarding this project.

Thank You

Last edited:
You need an MCU if the accelerometer output is is digital because you need an MCU to abitrate communications between the accelerometer and the RF transmitter. If it is analog you can use an ADC and PIC (probably a PIC with an integrated ADC) to do the same.

You have a few other routes options with analog output accelerometer though.

THe acceleration readings would be all over the place though because legged locomotion isn't not a steady-state motion. You might need to do some smart processing to get something meaningful. ANd you might need a 3-axis accelerometer as a result.

The simplest thing to do would be to try and find RF module with an integrated ADC so you could hook up an analog accelerometer directly to the module and then do all the digital processing on the receiver end.

More transmitter/receivers:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=16

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back