Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Academies

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Those in Scotland are likely to know and some in England may know as its pretty big story. All academies in Edinburgh have been shut because they are unsafe, some walls have collapsed, they were built under PFI schemes the same as my school was, I did a post outlining how much was spent during the summer holidays replacing falling render etc on the walls.
Turns out my school (Stranraer academy) was built by the same company (looks like they built most the ones in Scotland), although the news hasnt reported it its not just the Edinburgh Schools that have all closed until further notice, my school is open, but many of us are not in class today, I turned up this morning and had to come home. the school is playing it down but the part of the school my year group tends to spend most of the time is closed off! We have major exams in a few days time...............

So it seems the cracks in the walls were not ventilation after all! How bad is it? Well they pay a couple of million a month in lease for the school, and its about 8 years old I think and the contract is for 30 years, how would you feel paying top dollar for a new build house 8 years old and having the walls fall down (some have collapsed in other schools last week).

So what about the exams? Some of my exam stuff is in the closed bit, the school is leased and the company that owns and built it wont let ANYONE near the closed part........... No idea whats gonna happen but I tell you this, By weds night I am in that school and getting my exam stuff one way or another! I dont give a **** about consequences, I have worked so hard for these exams that no bob the builder is going to ruin my future because he cant pour some decent concrete (should worked harder at school shoundt he).

Actually 4 of us have told the school to get our exam stuff out that part of the building by Wednesday or we will. I have a discipline hearing again after the exams (pointless), because i told a teacher my true feelings about the response of " at the worse you will get an averaged mark based on past performance" i dont want an averaged mark, I worked extra hard for this!! I want my mark.

I think by the end of the day the builders will have to go get the exam stuff, by the time I left there was around 90 very unhappy people and the number was growing. What annoys me is my mum rang the school up and was told our school hadnt been affected but was being inspected just to make sure!! So maybe the gaps in the wall are ventilation?

Not turning out to be by month or two is it lol, but Ying and yang :D, the worse it is the better it gets

deleted

I posted a pic but was too big and obvious!! would have breached forum standards by a long way! shame as it was really funny

I tried to delete it but has suddenly appeared as an attachment at the top!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back