Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC to DC transformers in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneOfDaZZZ

I've got 2 - 120VAC to 12VDC wall outlet transformers and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to link the outputs of this type of transformer up in series?

I'd add more details about the transformers but they are just run of the mill black plugin type that you get with almost any electronic device you get that was made in China.

When I read the title "AC to DC transformers in series" the first thing that came to mind is that there is not such beast. But OK we are talking about wall warts.

If both wall warts are isolated from the mains (aka have a transformer) then their 'grounds' are virtual. You should be able to connect the + of one to the - of the other and get a 24V supply. Current will be limited by the lowest rated wall wart.

I have never tried it but it seems logical....

I would try to find a 24V supply. Ones with a few amps of current are commonly used in lawn irrigation systems. They may be AC but a bridge and a cap fixes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back