Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ac to dc power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

feddy13

i need help creating an ac to dc power supply.
i need its schematic diagram.
our project should include a circuit breaker once the load shorts
and it should have an indicator when it shorts and should include a reset
button.
me and my group mates are having problems in making it.
really hope that someone can help us.
thank you.

Are you in post-secondary? Because if you are you should have some idea about what to do (it's even more obvious if you have a parts list)

Surely someone in your group has "some" idea. Ask your lab TA.

It's done in a few different stages. What are the biggest differences between AC and DC? You make circuit stages to change progessively smaller differences (you deal with the largest differences first).

Last edited:
You need to tell us more. Is this an assignment - to design a power supply? What will you do with the power supply?

You cannot create a power supply if you don't know how much voltage and current it must supply. How much?

Many power supplies have more than one output voltage. Does yours?

This is an international forum with 120VAC and 230VAC at a wall electrical receptacle. Which is yours?

Does it need to have a voltage regulator?

the voltage source is 220 v
the outputs are +5v and 0; +15, 0 , -15v; and a variable voltage output from 0 to +20v.

In building power supplies, most often the maximum current output is more important and creates more concern than the output voltage.

Have you told us the required maximum output current of your intended power supply various outputs?

I need a schematic for a 20 volt max and 3 to 5 amps. It is to power a large scale train layout. I have been pricing the market supplies and they are pretty pricey. So I thought if I could make one for less money than great. I do need to mention that it is for my brother to build (he has some electronics experience) since I have no experience what so ever.
Thank you for the help,
Matt

Last edited:
fooldancing said:
I need a schematic for a 20 volt max and 3 to 5 amps. It is to power a large scale train layout. I have been pricing the market supplies and they are pretty pricey. So I thought if I could make one for less money than great. I do need to mention that it is for my brother to build (he has some electronics experience) since I have no experience what so ever.
Thank you for the help,
Matt
20V MAX? Like variable supply 1.8-20V or what? 12V it's enought? If y...then use a PC power supply. https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply
It can deliver like 10-15A@12V...with ease.

NO 12v is not enough, it's a large scale train (for outside) not Ho. It will run fine on 18v Yes I want it to be variable.
Like I said, I have no experience at all when it comes to electronics. I was just wondering where I could find a diagram.

Is PWM control of the trains appropriate as opposed to linear? Varing the voltage by any significant amount at 3-5A will waste a lot of power. PWM doesn't waste much power, so you can build a 20v supply (probably unregulated is fine) and use a PWM control after it. The only potential drawback being a slight buzz as the trains slow down (buy hey, it'll be just like a real electric train that way!).

My brother had built one back in high school, and it's the one I use for my outdoor train. I want to build one for my father since his little starter power "pack" won't run anything with lights and a smoke unit.
The one I am uising is a 15amp 25v variable. I am not sure of the other specs.. He has long since forgoten how he built it, and I found this forum and thought I would give it a try.
Sorry that I do not know anymore than what I told you.
Matt M.

My brother will be where (my house today), maybe I can get him to join in on the thread since he can explain things better.
Matt M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back