Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC SSR, help wiring 120VAC neon lamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shake_zula

I am putting together an AC SSR, I need it to poeer a 120VAC red indicator neon lamp.

The input is a 9v battery, the ssr kit is rated input of 5-15vDC and output of up to 220VAC 4 amps.

These are some pics of the kit all soldered together. How do I connect the 120VAC lamp to the output? I tried connecting it directly to the two holes, but it did not light up. Any help?

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Your pictures are too crappy for us to really tell anything.

Looks like a little board with a triac on it. It seems obvious that at least one side of the high-voltage (120V) load you want to control goes to the connection marked "OUT". But how is the incoming power supposed to be connected? Does one side go to the terminal marked "C" (for "common")?? I don't know, I'm asking you. You have no documentation for this board? If so, be careful; you could fry it, yourself or both easily.

The other possibility is that the two terminals on the right are to be placed in series with the 120V supply and the load. Have you tried that configuration? That would be my guess (but it's just a guess).

Can you post a link to the kit? If there is a schematic it would help.

Ken

Take a look at Figure 3. You don't need 220VAC. That's the maximum nominal voltage you "can" use with this kit. Your neon pilot will replace the light bulb in Figure 3. The power cord for 120VAC is wired exactly the same as shown.

Ken

Thanks for the info KMoffet, can I cut the end off the cord off (end with the two prong plug) an old power supply ? Solder one end to the pcb board 220v side? Can i plug this circuit into a wall outlet?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info KMoffet, can I cut the end off the cord off (end with the two prong plug) an old power supply ? Solder one end to the pcb board 220v side? Can i plug this circuit into a wall outlet?

Yes.

As long as you're careful, you ask your mother's permission, you take proper precautions, etc., etc.

Just kidding. Yes. But do be careful with line voltage.

Not know any more than what you have said and shown...yes. You might want to post a picture of how you have wired the cord and neon before you plug it in to the wall.

Ken

Hi shake_zula,

before you can get mains out of the circuit you must put it in.

Connect mains (life) to the solder pad labeled 220V and connect one terminal of the CFL to OUT. Connect the other terminal of the CFL to mains (neutral).

Please follow the sketch.

Boncuk

Attachments

• SSR.gif
    SSR.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 304
You will need a load across the triac. Like a 25 watt lamp. It will not work with just a neon indicator. Andy

You will need a load across the triac. Like a 25 watt lamp. It will not work with just a neon indicator. Andy

Right on the money here. A lot of wasted money as already stated.

I have a ABS box for this but heres a pic of the circuit let me know if this is the proper connection.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
That looks like the right connection (although again, hard to tell with such crappy pictures).

What people are trying to tell you here is that this may not work at all because your little neon lamp is not a big enough load for the triac. So if this doesn't work, try it with a standard incandescent light bulb to see if that works. If it does, then you're going to have to find another way to control your neon lamp.

Neon bulbs consume very, very little current.

The neon bulb stay off until i instert the 9volt battery, it then lights up bright, but only dims when the 9volt is removed. Now it stay on even when i plus it in with the 9volt. Will it matter if I add another 120VAC neon light? what about a capacitor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back