Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC rocker switch for DC application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach7

Hello;

I want to use an AC rocker switch for a 5 and 12 volt DC circuit application. The switches currencly work but I am concerned with internal arcing due to the DC power.

Does anyone have any information to raise my confidence level?, the switches are quite expensive and I don't want to ruin them.

Here are the spec's for the switches:

Aviation grade

2tp1-3 sealed I/O microswitch (rocker type)

(on the body of the switch it reads):

15A 250 VAC
1/2 HP 125 VAC
1 HP 250 VAC
5A 125 VAC
L191

I think the formula for calculating DC withstand voltage works out to 25% of the rated AC voltage (?).

Again, my main concern is for the switch itself. I just want to ensure that I am not creating damage by hooking them up to my circuit(s).

Thank you

- JIm

**broken link removed**
From the spec' page:

Ampere/Voltage Range (Resistive Load):
0.5 A at 250 Vdc
0.75 A at 115 Vdc
0.5 A to 10 A at 0.5 Vac to 277 Vac
0.5 A to 15 A at 0.5 Vdc to 28 Vdc

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.