Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Prong Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodlenuggets

I've been searching long and hard for a source of standard NEMA15 AC prongs, unploarized, for the U.S. 120VAC wall outlets that can be soldered at the other end directly to a PCB.

Does anyone have a source for this type of product? Has anyone here had these made custom for a device? Is there a standard for making them?

Thanks very much for any help!

Any chance you located a source? I have spent about 8 hours looking, and the only option that I have come up with is to design one and have it custom stamped.

Thanks,
Billy

As is typical of such requests, neither of you have mentioned where you are, your price target, or how many you need. I will assume you are in the USA, your cost constraints are not severe, and your quantity is small. I'll also assume you have the access and willingness to do some light machining.

That said, you may find what you need by disassembling All Electronics part No. AP-USA. You might also get what you need by smashing or dissolving the plastic away from a cheap "night light".

Sorry for omitting that information; I am in the USA. I am currently working on an upstart project; and rather than sink capital into having a die made and taking the effort at this time to spec the correct materials; I was looking for a ready made source of UL/agency approved prongs (One would assume with the number of electrical cords/wall warts out there...this would be a common request). I could easily scavange some for the first prototype or two; but that doesn't help me ramp into production or provide the documentation I will need for UL.

I'm in the USA, and have looked for sources for this part in the USA and China, but there are very few sources for these parts in either country - much more common are people who sell parts for extension cords, which is not what I was looking for.

The only source that I found is:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/14246.pdf
They'll send you samples, but beyond that you'll need a minimum order of 10k pieces. I'm also getting quotes for this part in made in sheet metal based on the NEMA standard - the standard is available free from their website, search for WD6-2002(R2008).

Thanks...looks like the kind of company I have been searching hard for. 10,000 pcs is a bit excessive, so I might have to go the same route and have my own stamped. Thank you for also including the NEMA spec; that will be a great benefit to me as well.

Well, the NEMA spec isn't the full story - there are a couple of radii on AC prongs that are not specified at the tip of each prong. I contacted NEMA to get more information about a month ago, but haven't heard any reply.

I also asked them about what materials these parts can be made from - I know they make them from aluminum and brass, but beyond that I don't know. It could be that AC prongs are made from a specific alloy of aluminum. I asked the sheet metal companies to make it from the standard 5052 alloy, so hopefully that's acceptable.

Are you building it to sell? You'll have to get the design UL listed, just because the prongs are listed doesn't mean that whatever electronics you're adding are. Mounting PCBs directly to the prongs might present a strain relief problem for the PCB.

I noticed the radius on the Etco drawings; and according to the PCB mount prong that I am looking at (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/09895.pdf) there is a max 0.010" radius on the edges. I would say that judging by the 2 Etco drawings I have looked at; as long as there is a small taper to help align the prong as it is inserted; you are probably good...but thats just my 2 cents.

Yes, I am fully aware that using UL approved prongs won't make my design UL approved; it will however ease the burden on me when I submit my design and product for approval if I have used only UL approved components and have designed my product to meet their specifications. My design will cover the entire outlet, and will have a mounting screw to provide necessary strain relief; I have also considered epoxy/potting material.

Thank you for everyones replies so far.....given the probable need, I might be better off giving up the project I am working on, and go into the business of selling low to medium volume prongs.

If the sheet metal people ever get back to me, I'll start with the quote for the parts, then get a quote for the UL testing, then do strain relief tests. I have to admit that, as an electrical engineer, I have a poor grasp of how much the torque on the device will strain the board, but I'm hoping the plastic enclosure will greatly reduce it. Even if I was a mechanical engineer, I don't think I could say if it would work or not without testing.

Reaching back about 20 or more years, I recall that on the X10 modules the prongs were bonded to the plastic case and then wires were run to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back