Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC power line communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

gehan_s

Hi all,

I am a third year EE student who has to do a final year project. I am thinking of doing a project on the above topic. The idea is to use power line communication to control devices (home or factory appliances) and for data acquisition.

The problem is I have no previous knowledge on this regard. Can someone help point me in the right direction and tell me where to start.

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are already well-established commercial systems available for this. A bit of googling will find them.

The National/TI part LM1893 is a carrier-current transceiver. Check their datasheet. Plenty of info on the net as well.

Make sure that the learning experience does not include one from the AC mains!

Good luck, E

"Make sure that the learning experience does not include one from the AC mains!"

I second that. That is why one should read very carefully the datasheet and follow all the recommendations.

In particular, make sure that you employ "Y" rated capacitors. They are a little more expensive, but could save you from a nasty shock and/or prevent whatever equipment that is connected to your transceiver from frying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back