Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ac or dc digital voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeeshan353

i want to build a dc voltmeter which measures dc or ac voltage having simple circiut
and display result in seven segement display

zeeshan353 said:
i want to build a dc voltmeter which measures dc or ac voltage having simple circiut
and display result in seven segement display

you need a DC Voltmeter to measure DC Voltage and an RMS (DC Voltmeter multiplied bt the Form Factor) to measure RMS (AC)Current.

A BASIC D'Arsonval meter is what gives an Analog Voltmeter..what you can do is measure the voltage drop using a microcontroller's ADC and then to the same controller have a seven segment LED display. Have the 7 Segment Lool Up Table inside the controller

panic mode said:
what's stopping you?
:lol: that's funny. ah no he wouldn't be needing a d'arsonval movement cos he talked of 7 segment for the display. the dc is the easier one, for the ac you'll need a full wave rectifier to rectify it first.
i've seen one cct but can't quite remember where i saw it, it used a microcontroller and LCD, that, i can tell you is quite complicated and somewhat above your specifications.

try google up things, i believe you'll come up with something.

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
panic mode said:
what's stopping you?
:lol: that's funny. ah no he wouldn't be needing a d'arsonval movement cos he talked of 7 segment for the display. the dc is the easier one, for the ac you'll need a full wave rectifier to rectify it first.
i've seen one cct but can't quite remember where i saw it, it used a microcontroller and LCD, that, i can tell you is quite complicated and somewhat above your specifications.

try google up things, i believe you'll come up with something.

what you can do is measure the voltage drop using a microcontroller's ADC and then to the same controller have a seven segment LED display. Have the 7 Segment Lool Up Table inside the controller

i tried 'quoting' both digital and analog... 8)

BTW a book by Carl Berqquist has a project on Seven Segment DC Voltmeter using a PIC. I think there is an application note too..

panic mode said:
what's stopping you?

it is obvious that zeeshan353 needs some help. i wasn't trying to be funny,
i just couldn't find question in his/her post. i wasn't sure which part of
building electronic project was considered a problem. complexity?
that's relative and too broad...
each project will have something to appeal some newbees and scare
the others. some don't like soldering, some hate programming,
some would do anything with code but can't stand multiple components
interacting with each other, some will buil anything you want if you give
them instructions/schematics (some are making their own Appolo guidance computer).

how simple "simple 7-seg voltmeter" has to be? one digit?

soooo zeeshan353,
how can we help you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back