Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC line filter/surge protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra1

Hi guys

I would like to add some surge protection to my project.

Iv looked at various circuits an the net and most involve using a MOV. I have also read that they are short lived devices under surge conditions.

Is there a better way to use them to last longer or even a better device that can be used??

If the MOV is spec'd properly, it will live a long time, but it is willing to die as a last ditch effort to protect your circuit...

oh right, have you a suggestion for a good MOV ??

Iv never used one before, but i have a basic understanding of how they work. However i dont know what sort of spec i need it to be to live a decent lifetime.

i have found a rough circuit that has 2 MOV's in series between the live and neutral, the centre of the 2 MOV's goes to earth, after the MOV's there is a clamping diode.

Is this a good way to do this??

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

I found this but im not sure what SO1 is, i think it might be a gas tube??

Is this circuit any good??

So1 is a **broken link removed**

oh right, thats cool then, so i would only need the 3 MOV's to protect it?

If thats the case then it should be a doddle to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back