Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ac/dc power adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapman

I have a ac/dc power adapter.output 12 volt 1.0 amp.I have a gps I have been powering this unit in the house for years.Now they say I should have an output of 1.5 amp.When I turn the unit on and go to the menu I checked the volatge and it was between 12-13 volts.If the unit was pulling more than 1.0 amp wouldn't the voltage be low.Please advise any opton.
Thanks
Jack

Not if it's a switching regulator. I find it odd though that a GPS unit would be using 12 watts of power, it's probably drawing significantly less, I can't explain the large current requirements you've listed.

Last edited:
Power in Watt's == Voltage * Current.

The numbers on the power supply are possible values, NOT what the device actually uses.

If it were drawing more than one amp it might. What is the concern? the unit has not changed... If they now recommend a 1.5amp capable supply there may be minor instability issues at high loads on the 1.0amp supply under non-deal usage, nothing you should worry about.

Why are you powering a GPS in a house?

You're situation and problems aren't clear.

I power my unit in the house to go through the menus in the manual to learn how to operate the unit.

Try at your own risk, but I wouldn't think there would be much of a problem. If the unit undervolts it might act odd or shut off but no harm should occur.

Thanks I will let it stand as is.I am like you all it can do is shut the unit down.Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back