Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ac Arc welding hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodquilon

I know, for ac arc welding ground terminal of transformer should connect to work piece and electrode should be with positive terminal.

For the initial arc formation there should be direct contact between both positive and negative terminals.

My doubt is that, why this will not create any short circuit problems as of high amperage with low voltage situation ?

Does it cause any serious injury if we touch the work piece at the time of welding as of high amperage with low voltage situation ?

If you have good connections to the work piece, I don't see any problems. The voltage is too low to cause injury and the welder is designed to carry a short circuit current.

What type of hazards were you thinking of?

I know, for ac arc welding ground terminal of transformer should connect to work piece and electrode should be with positive terminal.

For the initial arc formation there should be direct contact between both positive and negative terminals.

My doubt is that, why this will not create any short circuit problems as of high amperage with low voltage situation ?

Does it cause any serious injury if we touch the work piece at the time of welding as of high amperage with low voltage situation ?

You lost me a little. When doing an AC weld there is no positive and negative lead. Thus no direct contact for any length of time between a + and - terminal. When starting the arc by touching the rod to the workpiece it is known as a "touch start" for simple arc welding. Once the arc is started the welding rod is backed away from the workpiece and the voltage drop across the arc is the arc voltage. High current as mentioned with a low voltage. You can touch the workpiece as long as you don't get too close to the arc as that would be very hot but no electrical danger. All of that assumes a simple AC or DC weld with nothing fancy like RF start.

We have a few good welding types in these forums who could likely elaborate.

Ron

Last edited:
As far a shocks go there is some concerns with stick welding. The arc current is regulated but the voltage is not and most AC and DC constant current arc welders have around 80 -100 volts open circuit voltages which packs a considerable sting if your hands are sweaty and dirty.

Also arc welding creates high voltage spikes across the welding electrode and work lead which can reach into the low thousands of volts ranges so it is far from being a safe power source to be working with bare handed.

That looks like and old oil cooled transformer type of welder and the oil level is far too low!:eek:

Last edited:
transformer polarity

as shown below,in every ac welding transformer there will be separate outs
for both Earth & Electrode holder.

Why there is such a restriction exists- as we can interchange ac transformer secondary points as we
desired ?

**broken link removed**

Actually I see an upgrade from what you posted earlier. You get what you pay for in any welding system. The restrictions as you call them exist because it is a low end AC welding system.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back