Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC adapter voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronml

I have a Toshiba laptop that needs an AC adapter of 15V and 4A. I have misplaced the adapter but have an adapter for a Thinkpad with an output of 16V and 4.5 A, and which according to my meter puts out about 16.4V. The polarity of the plug is correct, though the plug is the wrong size.

Assuming I can replace the plug with one that will fit the Toshiba, would the voltage output tolerances of the Thinkpad adapter and voltage input tolerances of the Toshiba make it safe to use this adapter on the Toshiba?

Thanks!

I have a Toshiba laptop that needs an AC adapter of 15V and 4A. I have misplaced the adapter but have an adapter for a Thinkpad with an output of 16V and 4.5 A, and which according to my meter puts out about 16.4V. The polarity of the plug is correct, though the plug is the wrong size.

Assuming I can replace the plug with one that will fit the Toshiba, would the voltage output tolerances of the Thinkpad adapter and voltage input tolerances of the Toshiba make it safe to use this adapter on the Toshiba?

Thanks!

I would assume it would be fine. Your 15v 4A adapter probably put out anywhere between 13v and 17v anyway (just guessing, here) and 4.5A is simply the amount of current the adapter is able to supply. I would guess that your 16v, 4.5A adapter would work just fine.
Der Strom

Thanks for the input!

I was able to wire up the physically correct plug and then hooked up the adapter. When I turned the unit on I got a blinking orange power light sequence of SSSSLSSS. From what I have found about these codes (such as at https://www.austech.info/pc-hardware/...al-te2100.html) this is interpreted as 10hex which means "AC Adaptor output voltage is more than 16.5 V.", and seems like it could be correct. Since I now know the laptop will at least do something, I'll bite the bullet and spring for a 15V adapter.

By the way, after a little more research I found out that the output voltage can vary significantly more than I said it could. I have come across 12 volt adapters that can actually produce 15 volts or more.
Anyway, I'm glad you decided on what you wanted to do.
Good luck!
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back