Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC adapter for a lab power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

Could I use a 120V 60Hz 18w AC adapter for a lab power supply?

The Input is: 120V 60Hz 18W adapter
The Output is: DC12V 850ma

would the milliamp output be good?

Souper man said:
Could I use a 120V 60Hz 18w AC adapter for a lab power supply?

The Input is: 120V 60Hz 18W adapter
The Output is: DC12V 850ma

would the milliamp output be good?

OK if your current requirements are 850ma or less. I would think more current would be desired for a general purpose lab power supply.

I found a old model train voltage supplier with a max voltage output of 15V. It works pretty good, with a voltage selector with negative and positive power leads. Unknown Amp rating.

I installed model train voltage supplier on my workbench. It works like a charm! It can light an LED very easily and power all my circuits!

The blue box is my voltage supply in the lower right hand corner

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a picture of a NEW! Power supply

120V Input
17V output

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll probably also want a variable power supply.

I would recomment a 15VDC adaptor and an LM317 regulator so you can easilly build a variable voltage power supply.

Note that many of these supplies will have little or no regulation/filtering. That may be just fine for many applications but could add a degree of confusion if you have trouble getting something to work - is the problem with the circuit or is the power supply causing the problem. As implied already, you might start with this then add filtering or regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back