Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC adapter and voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

I'm powering up a microcontroller based circuit, with some more LEDs (16 and more), so they will be connected to the AC adapter instead.

However, I only have the AC Adapter which converts 230V to 12V and 1.5A, and with the +5V voltage regulator (7805) which further steps down to 5V and 1A.

The thing is, will it burn the regulator or the circuit?

Or must I get the AC Adapter which has the current rating of 1A to match the voltage regulator as well? :)

Ok, suppose you were going to connect your 7805 to the 12V battery in your car instead of to your 1.5A adapter. A typical car battery is capable of delivering in excess of 750A!! How much current will be drawn from the battery if you connect a 1A load to the output of the 7805?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back