Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC-AC power supplies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Jelfs

Hi All,

I've got an external sound card for my PC that only came with a european 2-pin transformer, and as I live in the UK, its a bit of a pain for me having to use an adaptor all the time... So I'm looking to replace it if possible, has anyone any suggestions as to where to get an AC adaptor with a 240v input, and 12v AC, 1.5A output? I've had a scan through my farnell catalogue and not turned up anything useful... otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about building one?

Regards

Sam J

"Specification:
Input :100-240VAC (50-60Hz)
Output : 12Vdc 3.5Amp "

thats DC output, not AC :)

I can't seem to find any AC output ones on ebay, least not that aren't large bench power supplies, which will be a little much for my needs...

edit - found **broken link removed** on ebay, its just that it is only 1amp output, and need a 1.5amp version

Last edited:
Why is it even AC input to the sound card? Surely the card must rectify and regulate the AC into something useful? I would look inside the external sound card to find the DC rectifier / regulator etc. If it simply has a bridge => regulator setup, you can get away with putting DC into it as the bridge sorts it out anyway.

I shall try and unpatch it from my rig later (its in a big rack with all my audio gear) and have a look inside... I don't know why it's AC in, thats just what it is, so was trying to replace like-for-like...

Sam

It's probably AC because it's easier to derive a bipolar power supply from an AC source than a DC source.

Maplin sell them.
**broken link removed**

Well I pulled the sound card out of the rig, but without taking all of the circuit boards out and lots of work I couldn't get to the right tracks to work out what was going on...

So instead I butchered my existing european power supply, put the guts into a new box with a IEC C13 socket on it, and that'll do for now.,,, Just a shame I didn't see Hero999's post before starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back