Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About PIC programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin mac

I got a pickit 2 clone lately which I programmed my PICs with. Then one day it stopped programming my 18F4520 and 16F876A chips. It gives me invalid device id. I tried new chips and same thing. But the programmer still programs my 18F2520, 16F877A and the rest of my PICs. My question is, can I rule out hardware failure of the programmer?

In the manual it also says that if the USB port can't supply enough current.
external power is needed. I haven't tried this yet because I need a DC jack to do so which i haven't got.

Last edited:
I got a pickit 2 clone lately which I programmed my PICs with. Then one day it stopped programming my 18F4520 and 16F876A chips. It gives me invalid device id. I tried new chips and same thing. But the programmer still programs my 18F2520, 16F877A and the rest of my PICs. My question is, can I rule out hardware failure of the programmer?

In the manual it also says that if the USB port can't supply enough current.
external power is needed. I haven't tried this yet because I need a DC jack to do so which i haven't got.
If you can program the PIC18F2520 and the PIC16F877A with no problem, I would say that your programmer does work. Are you programming the microcontrollers in-circuit? or into an adapter with no parts connected to the clock and data pins? if the PICs are powered by the programmer, are you using Vdd=5 V?

he said it is a clone, indicating that this clone has a ZIF socket in it. That also suggests that he is programming it out of circuit. I suggest unplugging all unnecessary USB items. My Junebug would do that to me sometimes but once you unplug a couple things the voltage is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back