Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about inchworm+ and unicorn ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzsche

hi , i am a newbie to this forum ...

i bought an inchworm+ and an unicorn a year ago , and i just finished the assembly today , the module inchworm+ works fine , i tried to program a pic 16f877a and a 18f4550 with the module's ISP connector by connecting an external 40-pin zif socket , i pluged an external 12 volts source to the inchworm+ module , i connected the module to my pc via a rs-232 cable , and the module works fine with mplab-ide downloaded from the official site microchip ...

everything is ok for the inchworm+ , i think ...

but the module unicorn sucks ...

i downloaded the file Unicorn 18F4550 +BOR.zip and the file EXTRACT_ICD2_4550.zip from the official website blueroom electronics , i tried to program the 18f4550 with both of the files , none of them gives satisfaction , the unicorn just refused to be recognized by windows , when i pluged the unicorn to the pc wia an usb cable , windows found an unknown device , and mplab-ide could not identify the presence of the inchworm+ ...

so what's going wrong ?

since this is my first post , i won't use any link ...

thanks for your help ...

ps : i apologize for my english , i am not a native english speaker ... :D

The Inchworm+ / Unicorn combo requires a driver to work in Windows. When you installed MPLAB 8.xx that driver should be available. Here's the official Microchip ICD2 troubleshooting guide. I've also attached a working Unicorn ICD2 hex file.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• ICD2_4550.hex
    77 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
thanks , i'm going to try your file ...

i just installed the latest mplab-ide , the version is 8.66.00.00 , if the problem persists , i will try to uninstall and reinstall it ...

another question :

each time when i change the device to be programmed , for example previously i programmed a 16F877A , then i changed the device , i put a 18F4550 on the socket in order to program it , the mplab-ide always asked me to DOWNLAOD again the operation system , but when i kept the same reference , for example to program and then erase and then reprogram then erase again the 16F877A ( same chip , or another chip , but the same reference ) , the mplab-ide didn't ask me to download the operation system , why ? ...

the unicorn still doesn't work ... windows found always an UNKNOWN DEVICE ... should i apply a +5V ( VDD ) to the unicorn , even if the unicorn is already connected to the usb port of the pc ? ...

Last edited:
ok , now the problem is fixed , the drivers are found in the path : --> "C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\ICD2\Drivers" , the unicorn module is recognized by windows 7 , and comparing to the rs-232 transfert , the usb is really fast , 1 second vs 1 minute ...

here are some pictures ...

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back