Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About how to build microstepping hardware driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmorri23

my project has a stepper motor controlled using micro controller,but the problem that i can not rise speed to a certain value , when i am reading i understanding that the driver that i used is not suitable for high speed(using half stepping).but he tell me that i should use a micro stepping instruction. [/list]

gmorri23 said:
my project has a stepper motor controlled using micro controller,but the problem that i can not rise speed to a certain value , when i am reading i understanding that the driver that i used is not suitable for high speed(using half stepping).but he tell me that i should use a micro stepping instruction. [/list]

Steppers are slow by definition, but you can speed them up somewhat by powering them from a higher voltage with current limiting resistors. Searching for stepper tutorials on google will find you details.

If half stepping is too slow, try using full stepping, it's considerably faster than half stepping - and if you're looking for speed, step resolution shouldn't be a concern.

I presume micro stepping would be slower still, but I've never tried it!.

gmorri23 said:

Up to what speeds in steps per second can you attain with your driver design?

One problem that can limit the speed of a driver are resonances that occur at certain speeds. At low speeds 100-200 hs/sec, a stepper encounters resonances because of the rotor and magnetic field interacts like a mass-spring system. Using microstepping will reduce the effect of this resonance.

At higher speeds of 2000-4000 hs/sec, there is another resonance point. The driver electronics can interact to enhance these resonances. You have to rapidly accelerate through these speeds to avoid resonances.

To run it at high speed, you can use a chopper circuit and run the voltage
way up on the motor, it gives you much better acceleration and allows you
to build up the stator current much faster. But it takes a more complex
circuit to monitor the phase currents of the motor.

There is an interesting application note in Microchip's website. It entitled "Stepper Motor Microstepping with PIC18C452".

**broken link removed**

Having made a microstep driver using the PIC18F452 myself, I have several issues with the design. Nevertheless, it's a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back