Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About conections

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

Well, I'm wondering which kind of cable/conectors to use in order to stick together different boards or circuits. I heard about plane cable (don't know if this is how you call it in english, but is a multiple cable ribbon).

**broken link removed**

They say is very useful, but my problem is at how to join the cable to the conectors, as it does not seem to be posible to solder. Soldering to PCB is so easy though.

thanks in advance.

There are IDC-type connectors available for most common ribbon cable widths. These connectors are crimped onto the cable, and they mate with headers that are soldered to the PCB.

Take a look at the Tyco/AMP offerings as one example...

But you need to crimp the cables into the conectors (headers), don't you?? The problem is that I have no tool for crimping cables, and I'd like something I can solder

patroclus said:
But you need to crimp the cables into the conectors (headers), don't you?? The problem is that I have no tool for crimping cables, and I'd like something I can solder

You can do many of them just with a vice, it depends on the particular connectors.

How many wires are in your connectors?.

I have no conectors yet. I'll buy whatever suits me, but I don't know what to choose. ribbon clable would be just great if I need to special tool for crimping (that is, I could solder)

patroclus said:
I have no conectors yet. I'll buy whatever suits me, but I don't know what to choose. ribbon clable would be just great if I need to special tool for crimping (that is, I could solder)

You've given no idea as to it's use, or how many ways it needs to be, these all affect the connector choice.

I've used 10 way molex connectors for my tutorials, to connect boards together, you can easily solder the terminals - rather than using the special crimping tool (like you, I'm not paying what they ask!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back