Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aaaw man, this is gonna be awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

My employer is upgrading employee PC workstations and they're installed with VISTA and staying that way. Worse yet, I have no choice in the matter. :mad: I think I'll go have a liquid lunch to drown my sorrows. :(

**broken link removed**

I bought a new HP a couple of months ago, with Vista Home Premium. Haven't had any issues, except wireless networking, but that's mostly because I don't know what the hell I'm doing anyway. Went with a USB adapter, works fine. Haven't really got this thing up to speed yet, have transfer much over from XP, or installed much more than internet stuff. Fortunately, I'm on the city's WIFI, because there were 4 upgrades...

Really? i built a computer over the summer and i put vista 64 bit and i must say i really really like it a lot. im not a windows fanboy at all i use linux almost all of the time. but i love vista it is not bad at all. dont be freaked out. i turned off UAC because if i kept it on the HDD will be dead in 2 years (UAC just checks the HD for errors even second and is useless) dont tell this to anyone but i would actually rather use vista then XP on a good computer. the computer i build is
640gig HDD
2 gigs of ram
2.53 GHz core 2 duo
crappy on-board video but i can still run aero very good.

Well much to my surprise, the computer administrator decided to keep XP Pro and swapped all files on to the new PC -- yeah! For now that is... come summer, I'm told to expect Vista regardless. These PCs at work are locked down so I can't run software without Admin approval.

PASSWORDS! Yes there's a BIOS PW, an Admin PW, a User Account PW, a network printer PW... any more that I forgot?:eek:

I thought you were talking about the presidental election.

I can not tell which canadiate is bard or worse.

:mad:

Ditto, same reason I popped in. Time for a write-in.

We stayed XP Pro here work workstations and FreeBSD for the servers. Why does Microsoft keep moving things around. No wonder people dislike them..

HiTech, can you boot from a CD on them?

Last edited:
I already have it on a thumb drive. Just haven't had a chance to use it yet. I have had others where I work tell me it works with XP. You just have to have Boot enable set in BIOS.

kv

Is it possible to boot linux on an old box that has USB but no bios provision to boot from USB. Maybe start from a CD and have it boot the USB? Anyone seen this done?

Is it possible to boot linux on an old box that has USB but no bios provision to boot from USB. Maybe start from a CD and have it boot the USB? Anyone seen this done?

yeah there is an UBCD. it stands for ultimate boot CD. it gives you like 100x more options to boot off of.

I think Vista was written by a bunch of gay interior decorators!

I think Vista was written by a bunch of gay interior decorators!

That is probably one of a thousand departments in Redmond, sorry, Microsoft. Do they own that City yet? So a very small part of them are like you think (decorators).

I just like ole Google going after them (and Apple), but then, they will probably become the next "Evil Empire".

Maybe vote for google.com for President of the US. They seem to make money not loose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back