Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a switch based on power consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icydash

Hi! This is my first post on the threads, and I'm kind of new to electronics, so all help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to design a circuit that connects between a battery and a load. When there is less than 1W being drawn from the battery, nothing happens. However, when the battery exceeds the .5A limit, the circuit cuts off power to the load and turns on a red LED.

Kind of like a circuit-breaker basically.

Does this look like it would work (modified for .5A): **broken link removed**

Thanks!

Last edited:
Google "electronic circuit breaker schematic" You will get lots of hits.
The discover circuits website is usually pretty good to look for things.

Last edited:
Another idea. Look at the data sheet for the ZXCT1009 and similar "current-monitor" ICs. I am using one of these to detect when the charging current to a lead-acid battery in my RV drops below 0.25A so that the charging voltage is reduced to the float voltage automatically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back