Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Strange circuit...Need help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescue1

Hello all,the circuit presented is from a working(very well I might add) 200 Amp Power supply enclosed in a aluminium case.The front has a Volt Meter,power switch and the Pot in the circuit for volt adjust.The voltage source is from a bunch of 50Amp bridge rectifiers in parallel.This circuit has overload protection,whereas if the voltage goes below a certain point due to a BIG load it cuts the regulator out,this part I believe is the PNP.I can't for the life of me figure out how the rest of the circuit works.The TO-3's collectors go to case.When you put the positive lead on the base of a TO-3,and neg lead to case ground you will see an adjustable negative voltage.Now what perplexes me is the "In" of the 337 goes to the TO-3 base?? Also,the TO-3 in of unknown type.All I see is the motorola symbol,and "K70",no other markings but tests like an NPN,so its an assumption.I would like to replicate this circuit for a bechtop power supply,please someone shed some light as to how this circuit works..Thanks....:)
P.S-The zener is of unknown value..:)

Attachments

• NEG Circuit pic.JPG
    NEG Circuit pic.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 192
What are you trying to achieve?

That circuit doesn't make any sense to me and niether does your post. Please use propper sentences and paragraphs to help people help you by making it easier for them to read the thread.

I assume you've drawn this circuit by looking at the power supply yourself? Check it again. :D

I was trying to make a power supply for myself,and thought that this was a neat way of doing it.Yes,it doesen't make any sense,hence why its a strange circuit.
I simply wanted to ask some experts what they thought,and thank you for the responses.The original power supply works great,and was looking for some insight as to how it worked....:)

Rescue1 said:
I was trying to make a power supply for myself,and thought that this was a neat way of doing it.Yes,it doesen't make any sense,hence why its a strange circuit.
I simply wanted to ask some experts what they thought,and thank you for the responses.The original power supply works great,and was looking for some insight as to how it worked....:)

LIke others, I suspect you've made a mistake drawing it out - I would suggest rechecking it?.

Look at the datasheet for the LM317, it gives some pretty helpful examples of power supply design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back