Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A sort of Analog to Digital convertor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muso52

Hello Guys,

Not so much a newbie here, oldbie would be more appropriate!
What I thought would be relatively simple to build has confronted me with a number of difficulties and so I would appreciate your help and advise.

The requirement of the circuit is to ‘sense’ when a varying and predetermined DC voltage is applied to a circuit and convert this to a TTL output.

Essentially the above comprises two elements.
The first one is a standard variable (via pot) 0-14v 1a DC motor controller using a Darlington-pair driving an Output Transistor.
The second element comprises a circuit that senses when a particular voltage, say 6v (and above) is outputted from the controller and changes a logic 0 to 1 i.e. 5v
It should be stated also, that the former needs to be electrically isolated from the dc motor output.
Now the idea I came up with was the simple use of a diode ladder network.

Depending on the collective voltage drop of the diodes and the physical connection point on the ladder where I ‘tapped’ a feed of to a opto-Schmitt, I thought this would work as follows. With say, a given and known output of 6v from the motor controller and with four diodes in series, this would drop the voltage by 2.8v (4 x .7v) leaving 3.2v to trigger the photo in the opto device. Now the opto-schmitt had a CCD (LM334) as a constant current source, biasing a suitable Zener to the input of it. This appeared to work well initially. With a led connected to the opto output side for a visual indication, this simple circuit when inserted at different points in the ladder, would trigger dependent on the applied voltage. However despite the use of a opto-schmitt isolator, a clear change in ttl output is not forthcoming for the following reason.Unless the phototransistor is fully saturated, i.e. fully on, an indeterminate level exists which is a no no as you can imagine
So, has anyone any other ideas how I could implement the above in a different circuit maybe?

Would really appreciate your input.

Muso 52

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back